7) Baptism shall be administered according to the rite and/or practice of any of the Participating Denominations, or according to a rite approved by the Participating Denominations through the Sponsoring Body, and shall be set, in normal circumstances, within an act of congregational worship. A register of baptisms shall be kept.
8) All persons involved as candidates or parents in baptism, whether of believers or infants, should proceed with the full knowledge of the options that are available to them. Infant Dedication and Thanksgiving for the Gift of a Child shall be among such options, as shall be a service for the Re- Affirmation of Baptismal Faith, as appropriate.
9) Preparation for believer's baptism and for confirmation and admission to the full responsibilities and privileges of membership of the LEP shall be undertaken jointly and shall include specific denominational teaching and instruction. Confirmation and reception into membership of the LEP or a transfer and/or extension of membership shall normally be administered at a joint act of worship according to a rite authorised by the Sponsoring Body, and agreed by the confirming ministers.
10) Those received into membership of the LEP by joint confirmation in consequence become members of all the Participating Denominations, as well as members of the LEP.
11) Those received into membership of the LEP by transfer and extension of membership in consequence become members of all the Participating Denominations which have received them, as well as members of the LEP.
12) Baptism of believers will not normally be administered to those who have previously been baptized as infants. If, however, a candidate who has been baptized as an infant holds a strong conviction about being baptized as a believer, the matter should be referred to the ministry team and the appropriate authorities of the Participating Denominations for consideration in the light of nationally agreed policies. Anyone so baptized shall be eligible for membership of the LEP as a Baptist only.
13) Membership discipline shall be in accordance with the procedures of the Participating Denominations. Members affiliated to more than one of the Participating Denominations shall be subject to the procedures of only one of them, as agreed by the Sponsoring Body and the appropriate authorities of the Participating Denominations on the proposal of the Trustees. The standing of any such member with the other Participating Denomination(s) to which they are affiliated shall be reviewed by them in the light of the outcome of that procedure.
Back to top of page Back to Constitution Contents
Previous page S6. The Sponsoring Body Next page S14-16. Worship
This page last modified